Your child’s attendance and punctuality is very important to us and we like to work in partnership with parents and carers to ensure that our children achieve the best possible attendance and that any problems that prevent this are identified and acted upon promptly.
The following actions are required by parents and carers if a child is absent:
- If there is a planned absence because of a medical appointment please notify the school prior to the absence and where possible with evidence of the appointment.
- If a child is unexpectedly going to be absent due to sickness, a parent/carer must call the school office between 8.15am and 8.45 am to explain the unexpected absence.
- When a child is absent unexpectedly, the class teacher will record the absence in the register. When the registers are returned to the school office, once registration is closed, the school office will complete the register with the relevant information provided via the parent/carer who has contacted the school office between 8.15 and 8.45 am and authorise the absence where appropriate.
- If no explanation has been given regarding a child’s unexpected absence, the school office will contact a parent or guardian as soon as possible that morning.
- If no reason is given for absence then this will be recorded as unauthorised.
Leave of absence
Where a planned absence is requested for whatever reason parents must complete a Leave of Absence form two weeks prior to the request for leave of absence.
In line with the Government’s amendments to the 2006 regulations (appendix 1), any holidays during term time will NOT be authorised. A fixed penalty notice may be applied (see further information from the downloads section below).
Please refer to our Attendance Policy under our policies section for further information regarding attendance.
The Headteacher and Governors have determined that:
- in exceptional circumstances permission may be granted for a maximum of five days providing your child has a good (95% or higher) attendance record for the academic year.
- where leave of absence in term time is due to exceptional circumstances, an application form must be requested from the school office and submitted for consideration by the Headteacher on behalf of the school governors, no less than 2 weeks prior to the requested date.
- consideration will then be given to the pupil’s previous school attendance.
- if leave is taken without prior authorisation by the school, it will be recorded as an unauthorised absence and the Attendance Officer will be notified.
Where a planned absence is requested for whatever reason, a Leave of Absence form must be completed at least two weeks prior to the absence. The form can downloaded below