Welcome To Year 6
Teacher: Mrs Norris and Mrs Escritt supported by Mrs Henry & Mrs Townson
Welcome to Year Six. In our class we work hard, explore, investigate, debate, challenge ourselves and thoroughly enjoy our learning within an exciting, practical and fun curriculum.
As we are the oldest pupils at St Therese, each one of us has many responsibilities and leadership roles within school to contribute our gifts and develop our talents; whether that be as a School Councillor, a House Captain, Eco Leader, Mini Vinnie Leader, librarian, corridor prefect, Sports Leader or Family Guardian.
As we are preparing for secondary school and the next phase of our learning journey, we know that it is important to develop independence, resilience, confidence and responsibility for ourselves and the world we live in. We take every opportunity offered to push our comfort zones and discover our true selves. We begin the year with outdoor pursuits, adventure and challenge, we discover the world around us through exciting topic based learning and we work hard to prepare ourselves fully for the challenge of SATs. We ensure that Year Six is a year of school that we will never forget!
See downloads below to access our curriculum overview for Year 6.
Equipment requirements for Year Six
As we are especially looking to developing independence and maturity this year, it is important that all pupils take responsibility for coming to school each day organised and equipped to learn.
Pupils will need:
A small wipeable pencil case which can be identified as their own containing
- Handwriting pen (Berol)
- A HB pencil
- A highlighter
- A red biro pen
- A small ruler
- An eraser
- A small set of colouring pencils
Pupils should also come to class each day with a small notebook and a reading book and a clean, freshly filled water bottle.
Pupils should not bring gel pens, sharpie or other permanent markers, felt tip pens or tip-ex.
Please note that school will provide any necessary equipment and this will be clearly labelled for each child.
We will be having PE on Fridays. Children will be required to come to school wearing their full PE kit. See website for uniform requirements.
Spelling lists will be sent home every Friday to be practised throughout the week as they will be tested in class a week later.
Children are strongly encouraged to read for pleasure on a daily basis and record their thoughts, questions and predictions as well as any interesting, ambitious or unfamiliar vocabulary in their reading journals.
Other short weekly tasks may include:
- Engage in a variety of research tasks using a wide range of literacy skills
- Practice mental and written arithmetic skills
Carry out investigative tasks as a follow up to science lessons
- Engage in a history or geography research task linked to class topics
- Carry out research tasks in R.E. during linked to ’Come and See’ topic
- Work on differentiated worksheet to reinforce numeracy work
- Practise handwriting using joined style and speed writing activities if required.
- Spend time working on subscription sites to aid basic skills such as: ReadingPlus, Mathswhizz and Timestables Rockstars (website links can be found in ‘Curriculum Links’)
Please click here for Reading Plus Guidance for Parents.
Please do not hesitate to see us if you have any questions or concerns linked to homework.
Year Group Expectations
Year Group Expectations provide information for parents and carers on the end of year expectations for children in our school. The National Curriculum outlines these expectations as being the minimum requirements your child must meet in order to ensure continued progress. The year group expectations can be found here
Please remember the door is always open if you have any questions or queries at any time. Please feel free to call in for a chat.
Thank you for your continued support
Mrs Norris and Mrs Escritt
- Curriculum overview for Year 6.pdf pdf1.1 MbSep 16th, 2020
- KO - Inuit.pdf pdf2.5 MbSep 8th, 2020
- KO - Frozen Kingdom.pdf pdf2.0 MbSep 8th, 2020
- KO - A Child's War.pdf pdf3.4 MbSep 8th, 2020
- KO- Gallery Rebels.pdf pdf4.6 MbMay 7th, 2020
- KO- Darwins Delights.pdf pdf3.4 MbMay 7th, 2020
- KO- Bloodheart.pdf pdf3.1 MbMay 7th, 2020